Follow The Metal Crypt on Twitter  The Metal Crypt on Facebook
Current Reads
Been going through a compilation of H.P. Lovecraft stories recently.  I never read anything of his before, but I quite like what I've read so far (occasionally garish racism aside).
Metal Always. Metal Only.
Into The Water by Paula Hawkins. Don't know if anyone here read The Girl On The Train, but it was a great read. This is the follow up stand-alone novel and it sucks beyond belief. First draft bullshit. Disappointing.
Recently finished Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff. Currently reading Summer of Night by Dan Simmons.
The Arctic Grail

Book about the search for the northwest passage.
(06-22-2017, 04:38 PM)Sargon the Terrible link Wrote: The Arctic Grail

Book about the search for the northwest passage.

Have you read Farthest North by Fridtjof Nansen? About exploring the North Pole in the late 1800s. Thrilling read.

OT

Toll The Hounds by Steven Erikson. This one is slow as fuck. But working my way towards the end of the Malazan books.
Just finished Bram Stoker's Dracula (for the second time). Also reading a book on avian intelligence (I'm a birder) and Storm Of Empire by some dude from the internet.
We need it as a liquid in our veins instead of blood
(06-22-2017, 04:52 PM)metal_xxx link Wrote: Toll The Hounds by Steven Erikson. This one is slow as fuck. But working my way towards the end of the Malazan books.

What's your opinion of the Malazan books as a whole? I tried reading Gardens of the Moon a few years ago but couldn't get into it. I've been thinking about trying again since I keep hearing they get much better.
(06-22-2017, 04:52 PM)metal_xxx link Wrote: Toll The Hounds by Steven Erikson. This one is slow as fuck. But working my way towards the end of the Malazan books.

Working on this one as well, just finished chapter ten. Put this down when I was plowing through the series a year or two ago, and just had to have a prolonged break. Really enjoying it this time, and it's amazing how much is coming back to me.

(06-23-2017, 11:07 AM)Nosrac1691 link Wrote: What's your opinion of the Malazan books as a whole? I tried reading Gardens of the Moon a few years ago but couldn't get into it. I've been thinking about trying again since I keep hearing they get much better.

The following books Deadhouse Gates, and Memories Of Ice rank among some of the best I've read. Overall Steven Erikson can get pretty long winded, and his books require more thought and investment than your average fantasy series, but if you can get into it, it's a wild ride.
(06-23-2017, 11:07 AM)Nosrac1691 link Wrote: What's your opinion of the Malazan books as a whole? I tried reading Gardens of the Moon a few years ago but couldn't get into it. I've been thinking about trying again since I keep hearing they get much better.

I had GotM lying around for years and started it probably 10-15 timer before putting it down. Finally read it last summer and I have to say that once it gets going it's very entertaining. Not the best in the series though.
Finished Toll The Hounds a couple of weeks ago, and oh my god, that endgame. Fucking. Nuts. Currently plowing through Dust Of Dreams with 150 or so pages left to turn. The end is nigh.